Tuesday 21 May 2013

Everest

Reading the prompt at Julia's Place this week, I was taken back to a longer piece of writing I'd done years ago for a weekend writing competition. Then, the prompt was a photo and the word count 1000. But today, I've tried to keep to the same essential story within the much shorter word limit. The words we had to include are ...the points were sharp... I changed 'the' to 'their' for my story to read better. To read other entries, please visit http://jfb57.wordpress.com/

Everest


My last step was my first on a new journey; my body could rest, my eyes took over. The plateau stretched into night’s past and day’s birth. I stepped along my undiscovered throne on the world. The wind whipped up; I tightened my hood, a king surveying his greatest achievement.
            In years at the summits, I’d never seen such heaven. Our mountain’s cousins bathed in the same rosy morning glow. Their points were sharp and jagged all around us, jutting into the blueing sky, their glaciers sparkling like newly-discovered gems.
            They simply reminded us where we were: higher, taller, on top of the world. 

Check out www.project-himalaya.com for more amazing photos. 

1 comment:

  1. I love it when I don't notice the prompt; you seamlessly wrote it into the piece and took me to a vision extreme. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Share a word or two... it's what life is all about.